Tuesday, September 15, 2009

To Ugg or not to Ugg

It's like this:

My feet get REAL cold. Even in not-so-cold weather, my feet are cold. And in cold weather (which in AR is like 40 degrees) they are SO VERY COLD ALL THE LIVELONG DAY! I have tried countless kinds of socks and shoes. But until January I was convinced that nothing at all could keep my icy toes even a teensy bit warm. Then I went to Colorado to visit my bff Liz (oh and her hubby Chad was there too) and she sang the praises of Uggs. She, too, was reluctant to take the plunge, but did so after facing her first Denver winter. So I decided to give the Uggs a try, and wore them out one day. ALL day. OUTSIDE in the SNOW, shopping of course. I tell you, my feet have never been so warm in all their 27 years of existence.

Now, I don't LOVE the look of Uggs (but I don't hate it either.) I don't LOVE everything that is associated with them (teen celebrities, push up bras, Victoria's Secret PINK sweatpants, bleach blond, tanorexic, wannabe 16-year olds ... you get my drift) But I just can't deny the Ugg practicality. WARMTH.

So ef it! I might just do this, own this. I've got some stuff for sale on eBay (yes, the Zimbabwe Challenge rules still apply) so if I make enough dough, I just might buy some Uggs.

Here's what I'm thinkin': Gray.

5 comments:

  1. There are other ways to keep feet warm. These should be called "Ughs". They are an abomination to style. I especially hate it when someone wears these hideous shoes, of course in the oh-so-common natural leather color, season after season until they are completely filthy and look like something a cat barfed up. If you go down this road, you'll be wearing them with pale pink sweat pants and an over-sized t-shirt in public in no time.
    Some alternatives: Smartwool, or Bridgedale socks. They are expensive, but worth it. Try polar tech lined boots. I have some Merrells that paired with good socks keep my feet warm and dry no matter what the weather. There are several more stylish (or at least not garish) boots that have a similar lining and will give you good results in warmth and comfort without looking like you walked off the set of Return of the Jedi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am OK with them for around the house and things like a quick trip to get milk. But that's about it. I have had real and fake ones. My current pair are from Delia's and are purple.
    AND, the off brand boots from say, Target, are JUST as good. The Uggs are not warmer, nicer or better made in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm usually hanging around the house (admittedly in sweats) when I wear mine, I don't think that owning a pair has the least bit tempted me to go in public all sweatpants-ed out on a regular basis. You just have to be careful with them, like WWWYG said, they're great for the house and quick errands -- you just need to try not to turn them into a wardrobe staple or it may become a slippery slope. For instance, don't ever wear them to dinner or to work.

    In my opinion the real UGGs are better quality --maybe the cheap ones are the ones that end up looking like something a cat barfed up? Also, I have lots of smartwool, and it is really warm, but I think it is kindof itchy. Knowing you, I don't think you'd like it because I know you're as sensitive to that than I am.

    Finally, as the featured Liz, I know that you know how I feel about Uggs. Honestly, I think its some of the best money I've ever spent -even if I rarely wear them out of the house. I'd go for the grey pair in the middle. They're at least a little more styley if you leave the house in them. I haven't actually tried on the sweater kind, but I don't think they're as furry and delightful as the uglier ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to live in Michigan so I totally appreciate UGGs for the warmth factor, not for style! I hate when girls try and wear them with skirts in spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vote: 1 for sweatery leggwarmery ones that are very not waterproof.

    ReplyDelete