Monday, December 21, 2009

The double denim dilemma

For a long, long time now, perhaps since the mid-'90s, I have militantly fought off double denim.

For those who don't know what this is, I have enlisted Brett and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords* to illustrate the double denim theory:


Jeans. Denim jacket. Denim shirt (a la Jerry Seinfeld)

Folks, this is just my personal opinion, but Double Denim is simply a fashion travesty that should, at all costs, be avoided.

I admit. Five years ago we were all saying that about tapered jeans. HELLO! TAPERED JEANS EQUAL SKINNY JEANS! And now we all wear them. Myself included.


This is an image from StyleBakery. This is ugly for a number of reasons:


White and blue = boring. Throw some non-blue color in there!
There is denim on top and on bottom.
That woman has no head. (Ok, maybe that was taking it too far. Let me extend my sincerest apologies to the headless women, nay, people, of the world.)


This photo proves once again that just because it's on the proverbial runway, doesn't mean it should be on you.
Double Denim.Double Denim.Double Denim.
BORING.
Not to mention, wearing a jean jacket as a top is just uncomfortable.
And I just don't see myself falling for this trend, even if it's renamed something like "duplex denim" or "twinim." There's no foolin' me.


*Unfortunately, Brett and Jemaine did not pose for this photo just for me. I did a Google image search for "double denim" and this is what came up on the third or fourth page. It's a beaut, however, so I went with it.

2 comments:

  1. A full denim suit should always be avoided. The only person who has ever been able to pull off the full denim suit was James Dean and he's dead. So let that be a lesson to all those who are considering the full denim suit...if you commit such a fashion travesty, you will die a fiery death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those guys. And I agree with you on the DD. I don't like it. I have ordered a jacket from Forever XXI though with Christmas Cash that MIGHT make me a sinner. I'm not sure. I hope not.

    And over here we call it a "Texas Tuxedo"

    ReplyDelete