Thursday, December 10, 2009

The beauty of the blog

I'm a Virgo. That means I'm practical, analytical and meticulous.

While my sweet mother would tend to disagree with me being meticulous, ("Erin, aren't you going to IRON that?!") I do tend to take lots of care in choosing my accessories and shoes. Perhaps that's why I have so many? I have to have the PERFECT pair of shoes/necklace to go with an outfit?

What I would like to discuss today, however, is not my attention to detail, but my practicality and why certain fashion blogs lend themselves so well to it.

While I can appreciate high fashion/magazine fashion/non practical fashion as beautiful art, I would much rather look at photos of clothing I can actually WEAR. Plus, I think so much of the fashion that Arkies are exposed to is from magazines ... with the exception of rarities like Little Rock Fashion Week, and magazine fashion relies to heavily on photography. So as much as fashion mags rely on clothes, it relies on super cool photography.

For instance:

I mean, this is a sweet photo. This woman with crazy silver pants, wacky shoes, sky high hair, talking on the phone on the Great Wall of China. As art, it's pretty awesome! Would I ever wear any of this? Nope. I would most certainly bust my face on the concrete in those heels, even WITHOUT the help of alcohol. I never allow my bare midriff to see the light of day. And I don't even have enough hair or hairspray to pull off that style. (OK, admission time, I DO have those pants, but in gold. And I bought them as an ironic style statement for when I went to Las Vegas.)

So my point is, I LOVE looking at blogs because it's one of the only readily available sources of inspiration for cube-dwelling, middle-class, mall-shopping, thrifting regulars like myself!

Kasmira is amazing at combining colors and patterns. I love her unexpected splashes of color.

Erin rocks at accessorizing. I wish I had her drive to switch purses with my outfits!

Kyla is so great with layering and combining textures.

I picked out these three ladies and their blogs mainly because they post so regularly, and I probably get the most inspiration from them!

So, in summation, I'd like to give a good old fashioned shout out to all the awesome people fashion blogging. Woot woot, shout out, etc. etc....

PS- I know there is Wardrobe Remix on Flickr... like billions upon billions of sweet pics and I fully intend to immerse myself starting 2010!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. It was very helpful for me.I knew little in this part before,Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete